Thursday, March 6, 2008

My Writing

"When I write, I feel like an armless, legless man with a crayon in his mouth." -Kurt Vonnegut

One of my instructors at Columbia College asked me the other day how I would describe my writing. This is my answer... sort of.

I think there is a difference between how my writing is and how I want it to be.

I want my writing to be like music, like a song, like notes floating across the air, singing into your ears. I want my writing process to be like band practice, hundreds of jam sessions all culminating in an amazingly mind-blowing, life-altering performance of those songs I've worked so goddamn hard on, poured my life and soul and body into.

I want my words to slam into you, careening of the page like a car crash waiting to happen.

I want my stories to be unforgettable.

But the reality of it is that my writing is usually flowery and cushy, sloppy with love and lust. Boys and longing leaning up against the walls and waiting their turn to lie on my pages.

My words tuck themselves into your pockets, digging down and nestling into the corners where your fingers never quite reach.

My stories are all the same.

No comments: