Sunday, February 8, 2009

Purple Prose

Two of maybe the best lines I've ever written and they for sure are dripping with remembered angst and over romanticism. AND they are definitely about the same person, who exists and who I can't stop thinking about, which pretty much only makes this whole thing worse and in between those two lines is one of the best dreams I've ever had (woke up with a smile stuck to the corner of my mouth):


I dreamt last night that I loved you madly and you loved me fiercely and together we stopped the house from burning.


We lay in the back yard, looking up at the trees, listening to the grass click beneath us, letting our arms rub together like violins. We went on long journeys, sometimes you led me, sometimes I led you. When you were leader, I watched the back of your neck; the muscles and bones and tendons rippling under your skin and the triangular point your shaved hair came to at the nape. When I was leader, you held onto my hips and kissed my ears and we couldn't stop loving everything about the outside and around us and the feeling of our skin touching and the way the ground felt beneath us.


I hope I dream about you again tonight, because the shape of your head is one of the happiest things my pillows will ever know.

No comments: